The Women's March on New Jersey 2018 was initiated by a group of local activists (change starts locally!) who chose the site for their march because it is located in a growing, vibrant community with multiple grassroots organizations actively involved in advocating for fair and responsive representation in government. The march grew from there, as organizations and activists from across the state joined their crusade, seeing Morristown as an example of the potential power we have to enact all across New Jersey in 2018.
This time we'll go beyond our state capital to amplify our voices to the people across New Jersey. We seek to encourage them to use their power to vote instead of relying on the elected officials we have. Like the National Women's March (which will be held in Las Vegas this year), changing locations allows us to carry our message to new territories across the state, into areas where our message most needs to be heard. In addition, our mission centers on "Power to the Polls". Morristown (and Morris County) exemplify areas across our state where our votes and voices are even more crucial in 2018. Let's turn the tide by electing officials across New Jersey that share our values instead of convincing the ones that already represent us to change theirs (no matter what their political affiliation).
Morristown is rich in Revolutionary history. It is the sister site to Valley Forge National Historical Park in many ways. It was the winter encampment site of George Washington's army during the winters of 1776-1777 and 1779-1780. Did you know the winter at Morristown in 1779-1780 was the coldest on record in the 18th century? We will be marching (and freezing) in the footsteps of revolutionaries that have come before us. What better grounds for women and allies to gather who are staging a revolution of our own?
Finally, Morristown is easily accessible by public transportation. There will be a multitude of shops and restaurants within walking distance where hungry, tired, and cold change agents, of all ages, can warm and re-energize before, during, and after the event. It offers us a historic, open space that can accommodate the large number of attendees we anticipate. As organizers, we feel it's imperative that our venue is as accessible and inclusive to all that want to attend. We don't want anyone to feel "left out" or on the outside of what's happening on January 20th. We are in this together...and together we'll be.
Read more about Morristown...
Renovation: The Green is a privately-owned public park underwent a major renovation in 2007. At that time, signage was added that explain the history of the Green. If you take a stroll around, you will see these signs as well as some important statues. There is the "Soldier at Rest", erected in 1871, to honor the Civil War dead. The "Patriot's Farewell" over the fountain was erected in 2001 as a salute to the Morris County militia of the Revolutionary War era. "The Alliance", a statue of George Washington, Alexander Hamilton and the Marquis de Lafayette commemorating their meeting in Morristown in 1780, was placed there in 2007
The Green has won some awards due to the renovation efforts by Dewberry, a civil, landscape architecture, environmental services and construction engineering firm. It received an Excellence Award in the Public Space category from Downtown New Jersey for the renovation done on the Morristown Green under the following criteria:
- Preserving and enhancing the character of the downtown environment
- Contributing to the economic vitality of the downtown district
- Generating pride in the community
- Drawing people to the area
- Demonstrating a coordinated effort by various segments of the community
- Improving the streetscape or visual appearance of the business district
- The Morristown Green is on the National Register of Historic Sites and is in the center of the Morristown Historic District.
History: The Morristown Green is one of only two greens in New Jersey to have survived until the present day; the other is Military Park in Newark. The centerpiece of Morristown, the Morristown Green, is 2.62 acres and began appearing on maps of the area as early as 1715.
The Green was originally used as pasture land for early settlers. During the American Revolution it was used as a military parade ground. The first county courthouse and the first jail and pillory were located on the Green, as well as early churches and commercial buildings. After 1909 it became the pleasure park that you see today.
Other places of note in and around the Green include the granite "E Pluribus Unum" medallion in the central plaza, the Liberty Pole, the stone marker for the first courthouse, the time capsule, the Methodist and Presbyterian Churches, the Post Office, and the plaques that tell the stories of the Alexander Carmichael House and Continental Storehouse. Relax near the Patriot's Farewell fountain, the central plaza's puddingstone bench or by the game tables.
The Green is central to the life of the town, hosting political and cultural events throughout the year.